Sunday, November 06, 2005

Lan Su Yuan or Portland Suzhou Garden

Architecture
Water
Poetry
Stone
Plants

This scholar style garden is the masterwork of some very artistic and dedicated people from two countries, namely Suzhou, China and Portland, Oregon. This urban garden is designed with the Chinese idea of balancing harmony and tranquility. The five elements that are essential to this Ming-style garden - Architecture, Water, Poetry. Stone and Plants - provide this classical garden the beauty and wonders of the universe within a very limited space.

As I walked along the winding stone mosaic walkway, which was crafted by hand, stone by stone, I experienced this feeling of being in a whole different space. All my senses were stimulated for there was so much to take in. The sound of water from the waterfall, the smell of fragrance from the flowering tree, the feel of the mosaic stone on my feet and the visual impact of this whole garden. Every little turn that I took, something would revealed itself - a piece of limestone formation, which has the most incredible shape or a plant or tree that is new to me or the artwork or cravings on wood panels that are so beautifully done.

Most of all, besides the beauty of this space, this urban/classical garden bestowed upon me a sense of peacefulness and calmness, which gives me the feeling of being in a whole different space.

"Welcome and Enter the Wonderland"
(as quoted on the brochure)

2 comments:

Lye Hock said...

Wow! Great pics! Didn't know balak country also got chinese gardens? I like the clean & uncluttered format of yr blog...:)

Polly-Pocket said...

Thanks. Your kind words are much appreciated.

And yes, balak country does has an awesome chinese garden. Actually, we have more than just a chinese garden. There's a Japanese garden, a couple of rose gardens, a rhodedendron garden, and a few more that I can't name from the top of my head.

:)